Back to Flower Articles Main Page
Interesting Facts about Roses
- The rose is the favorite flower of 85% of Americans.
- The two biggest days of sale of roses are mothers day and valentine's day. The third is Christmas
- The rose is the official National Floral emblem of the United States. This legislation was signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on October 7, 1986 in a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden.
- The rose is also the state flower selected by Georgia, Iowa, New York, North Dakota and the District of Columbia.
- The rose is native to the United States.
- Other countries also have the rose as their national emblem: Bulgaria, Cypress, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Iran, Iraq, Luxemburg, Maldives, Romania, Slovenia and England.
- The oldest representation of a rose is a fresco in the palace of Minos in Cnossos, Crete. It depicts a five-petaled pink rose dates to about 1450 B.C.
- George Washington grew roses at his home.
- Roses are amongst the best drought tolerant plants for your garden.
- About 60% of the roses grown in the U.S. are produced in California.
Language of Flowers
- Rose -- Love
- Burgandy Rose -- Unconscious Beauty
- Damask Rose -- Freshness
- Dark Crimson Rose -- Mourning
- Dark Pink Rose -- Thankfulness
- Deep Red Rose -- Bashful, Shame
- Lavender Rose -- Enchantment
- Orange Rose -- Fascination, Desire
- Peach Rose -- Desire
- Pale Pink Rose -- Grace, Joy
- Pink Rose -- Grace, beauty
- Red Rose -- Love, passion, respect, courage
- Red and White Rose Combined -- Unity
- Yellow Rose -- Friendship, joy
- White Rose -- Innocence, purity, secrecy
- Rosebud -- Beauty, Youth
- Red Rosebud -- Pure and Lovely
Quotes about Roses
"True friendship is like a rose. We can't realize it's beauty until it fades."
"But he that dares not grasp the thorn Should never crave the rose." -- Anne Bronte English poet and novelist (1820-1849)
"Life is a rose; beware of the thorns."
"Beauty without virtue is like a rose without scent." --Proverb
"The rose speaks of love silently, in a language known only to the heart."
"I don't know whether nice people tend to grow roses,
or growing roses makes people nice." -- Roland A. Beowne
"There is no gathering the rose without being pricked by the thorns." -- Bidpai (Pilpay),
"Any nose may ravage with impunity a rose." -- Robert Browning
"The rose that lives its little hour is prized beyond the sculptured flower." -- William Cullen Bryant
"There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence." --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Time brings Roses. --Portuguese Proverb
From the thorn bush comes forth the rose. --Old Jewish Proverb
"Sweet as the rose that died last year is the rose that is born today." --Cosmo Monkhouse, A Dead March
Tips on Growing Roses
- Roses should be planted during dormancy at the beginning of spring or late in the fall.
- Before planting, prepare the soil by tilling to the depth of 2 feet and mix in compost.
- Base of the stem should be about one to two inches below the ground
- Roses prefer a soil pH ranging from 6.5 to 6.8.
- Roses need soil with good drainage.
- Roses like six hours of sun per day, preferably in the morning
- The first 3-4 weeks after planting your roses, you should water them often. Four weeks after planting, you should start soaking the bed every 2 weeks or so in the morning.
- Roses are short root plants and need of 3-4 inches of mulch to prevent weeds.
Care of Cut Roses
- Remove any leaves that will be below the water line in the vase
- Holding the stem under water, cut off about 1 in. at a 45 degree angle. Keep this end wet until it is put in the vase. Cut the stems every few days and make sure the water is clean.
- Put flower preservative in the water. This usually comes with the flowers.
- Check the vase regularly and make sure there is plenty of water
- Keep the roses is a cool place out of direct sunlight and away from drafts
- If a rose wilts prematurely, try recutting the stem.
Links to Rose Societies
- American Rose Society
- Arizona West Valley Rose Society
- California Coastal Rose Society
- Connecticut Rose Society
- Denver Rose Society, CO>
- Dixie Rose Club
- Louisville Rose Society, KY
- Orlando Area Historical Rose Society, FL
- Pensacola Rose Society, FL
- Pittsburgh Rose Society, PA
- Phoenix Rose Society, AZ
- Riverside Rose Society, CA
- Rose Society of Glendale, AZ
- San Antonio Rose Society, TX>
- Seattle Rose Society, WA
- Tenarky District Rose Society, KY
- Western New York Rose Society, NY
Gifts for the
Many Other Rose Designs and Products Available
Dainty Pink Rose Keychain
Delicate White Rose Infant T-Shirt
Graceful Orange Rose Tote Bag
Light Pink Rose Heart Aprons
Three Red Roses Sticker
One Pink Rosebud Greeting Card
Red Rose with Buds and Leaves Tie
Pink and White Rose Ladies T-Shirt
Red and Yellow Rose Postage Stamp
Red, Red Rose Mugs
Rosebud Summer Fashion Button